What is fluoride?
There are many misconceptions when it comes to the fluoride in water supplies. We have been told for many years (since 1968 in Western Australia) that ﬂuoride in the drinking water will help prevent dental caries. Although in Victoria, Queensland, New South Wales, Tasmania and South Australia, individual shires determine whether or not it is added to the water.
Most of Europe and China also have rejected the ﬂuoridation practise, along with many states in the US. There is growing evidence that it is of no beneﬁt to teeth when ingested. Evidence suggests that it is harmful to our long term health and the development of our young. But here in Western Australia every shire puts fluoride in water, whether you want it or not!
– Fluoride is a naturally occurring organic compound found in our ocean, deep ground water sources, soil, rock and some plants. It can occur in ground water at dangerously high levels.
– The ﬂuoride used in our drinking water comes from manmade chemicals – hydroﬂuorosilicic acid and sodium fluorosilicate.
– Inorganic ﬂuoride is an extremely toxic, caustic by-product waste from superphosphate production and aluminium production.
– Hydroﬂuorosilicic acid contains concentrations of arsenic and lead.
Fluoride in Water
–Fluoride is added to the drinking water to help guard against dental caries.
– Fluoride is very acidic, in WA much of our water comes from the ground and contains a high amount of calcium causing hard water. The addition of ﬂuoride dissolves some of the calcium so that our water is softer and more palatable.
– Fluoride is a toxic waste that cannot be dumped in our water ways and landﬁll, so it is re-used in our drinking water!
How much is to much?
– In Australia the guideline value is 1.5mg per litre.
– Exposure to ﬂuoride at rates of 4mg per day over several years has been proven to cause skeletal ﬂuorosis. Early indicators of this disease is lower back pain, hip and/or knee pain/ degeneration, general pain and lack of mobility in joints, brittle bones (osteoporosis) and arthritis.
– The NHMRC and the ADWG estimate the average adult is exposed daily to approximately 5.4mg through food and environment.
– Children under the age of 8 years will not excrete ﬂuoride at the rate of a healthy adult and it will mineralise in their bones and teeth. ANY EXPOSURE TO FLUORIDE THAT EXCEEDS 1.5 MG/L SHOULD BE AVOIDED. (Brushing teeth with a ﬂuoride toothpaste will add to the daily limit set by the NHMRC, ADWG and the Department of Health.)
– Infants being raised on infant formula are receiving toxic levels of fluoride (400% more in body weight ratio) than adults consuming the same level of fluoride in water.
Do we get fluoride from anywhere else?
– Fluoride is found in many of the foods we eat and beverages we drink, either through manufacture, fumigation, pesticides or the environmental source.
– Brewed black tea from China or India contains averages of 3-4 ppm of ﬂuoride (environmental)
– White wine can contain approximately 2 ppm (pesticides)
– Cocoa powder for chocolate production can contain at times up to 8.4 ppm (fumigation)
– Most bottled water (manufactured using treated water that is ﬁltered)
– Generally people use a ﬂuoride tooth paste and have ﬂuoride treatments regularly at the dentist. This contributes greatly to the amount of ﬂuoride we are exposed to.
– Most children will swallow more than 50% of the toothpaste whilst brushing accidentally, some will swallow it deliberately because it tastes nice. Toothpaste is a poison! It must be kept out of reach and children need to be supervised when using it.
– As adults we are exceeding the recommended safety limit for ingested ﬂuoride set out by The National Health and Medical Research Council and The Institute of Medicine.
– Fluoride in water has long been debated. It is a ﬂawed science and research has shown that there are many health risks associated with this practise.
– There are many categories of people who are more vulnerable to the addition of ﬂuoride to our drinking water – Infants, children, aged people, diabetics, health challenged, large volume water drinkers and allergy sufferers.
– Fluoride when ingested is not metabolised, it is diffused through ALL body tissue. More study is necessary to determine how else this impacts our long term health and development. (NHMRC) – Fluoride is a neurotoxin and a babies blood brain barrier is not fully developed, therefore allowing ﬂuoride access to delicate, developing brain tissue. Hundreds of studies done have shown that ﬂuoride reduces IQ, causes neurobehavioral deﬁcits, impairs memory/learning and possibly contributing to dementia.
– Infants can only excrete 15-20% of an ingested ﬂuoride dose, that is almost 3 times the amount a healthy adult will retain. (Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry 2003)
– People with a kidney impairment have a lower margin of safety for ﬂuoride intake. They may retain up to 3 times the amount of ﬂuoride as per a healthy adult.
– It is a well documented fact that ﬂuoride needs to be removed from the water that is used for dialysis in the treatment of kidney disease, as it was shown to cause osteomalacia, a bone-softening disease. This is still of concern with drinking water as they will retain toxic levels of ﬂuoride in their bones and tissue.
– Fluoride ingested at rates over 4mg per day over 20 years has been proven to cause skeletal ﬂuorosis, arthritis and osteoporosis (brittle bones).
– Fluoride suppresses thyroid function causing an under active thyroid, interfering with our hormone production, metabolism and energy levels.
– Studies have shown an association with an increased risk of osteosarcoma, a form of bone cancer affecting young men.
– Fluoride has been shown to increase blood glucose levels and impair glucose tolerance, which is often a precursor to type 2 diabetes.
– Fluoride has been shown to accumulate in the cardiovascular system, this can have an affect on blood pressure, arterial calciﬁcation and myocardial damage. Patients with cardiac failure have elevated levels of ﬂuoride in their blood.
Fluoride delivered to the population in our drinking water for the purpose of mass medication, is a violation of our human rights and freedom of choice. If a doctor was to force a medication on to a patient without their consent, it would be considered malpractice. If a patient was not informed accurately to the risks and possible side effects of a medication, that would be considered malpractice. Fluoride is a harmful toxic substance, it is impossible to accurately deliver a measured dose through the drinking water supply. It is an indisputable fact that the only way ﬂuoride can have a positive effect on dental health is via topical application (ada.org.au). So how is it that in todays educated society, this absurd rational is able to continue.
The ONLY way to remove ﬂuoride from your drinking water is through a Reverse Osmosis, distiller or de-ioniser. Filters will NOT remove fluoride in water.